Saturday, September 29, 2012

Remember when...

Hi dear blog friends.  How are you all doing?  My life certainly has not been my own the past few month, but in between all the hustle and bustle I've managed to get a few stitches into my linen and some sewing done.  Let's see if you can remember any of these old samplers from the past.  At the moment I'm working on a sampler called, "The Weeping Tree" by the City Stitcher.  It's an oldie, but a goodie from 1995.  I know it's pathetic, but the house took me most of the summer to construct.  I was shocked that I used a whole skein of DMC floss on the brick mortar!  I'm feeling like my mojo is returning while working on this.  Probably because it's stitched on 32 count, and is really easy on the eyes. 

I have a little progress to show on Shores.  I used several colors of red silk on the fish in block 12, instead of making them all one color.  I like the variation it provided.  I'm taking this on vacation in a few weeks, and hopefully I can finish up another block or two.

I'm still working on the Toy Chest.  I took a class on how to finish this piece, and I want to get this done soon, so I can apply what I've learned.  The horse has just about done me in.  It's over one... need I say more?

I started this on one of our summer travels.  Prairie Moon's, For Thine is the Trick and the Treat.  Shepherds Bush had this fabric dyed especially for their shop, and I think it's perfect.  I know that this won't be done this Halloween, but it should be fun to work on during the Fall season.

My quilt guild has been doing a wool ornament class.  We receive several ornies a month to complete.  So far mine are cut out, and that's about as far as I've gotten.  They are really cute done in person, and if I can only keep up, I'll have a really cute feather tree filled with unique wool ornaments in the year 2014.

I am also hosting a block exchange at my quilt guild.  We are making 24 blocks per month.  Here is a stack of exchanged blocks and some I am working on.  These will be for the quilt, Idaho Farm Girl, by Kim Diehl

I was invited by a couple of friends to work on this quilt by Needl' Love.  Of course, I don't have any willpower whatsoever, and I told them to count me in.  I love the colors of this quilt, and can't wait for some time to work on it. 

 I stitched this sampler last winter, and never put it on my blog.  I think this is my favorite Fall sampler, and the frame is stunning.  I can't remember the designer, but if anyone is interested, I'll find the pattern and the name.

I stitched this sampler way back in the 90's, when large count fabrics were all the rage.  I originally  finished it into a wall hanging, but over the years I tired of it.  One day I decided to frame it and I love the way it looks now.  A new frame is a good way to freshen up an old piece.

This is a really old sampler from Oberlin Designs.  I changed quite a bit on this piece.  The fabric, the floss... I added buttons, and silk ribbon pumpkins.  It's bright, but I love this sampler still.

My table is sporting Bent Creek's Fall Snapper.  Also a darling owl that my friend made for me.  It's from the Pumpkin Patch Needl' Love book. 

Now for family happenings.  In July, my daughter celebrated her 11th birthday.  She wanted to have a gymnastics party and watch the new American Girl movie, McKenna.  All the girls brought their dolls.  Wow!  Was it ever cute.  She had a  sleep over with her cousins afterwards....which lasted 3 days, because they were having so much fun.  I'm such a pushover!

We traveled to San Diego for my cousins wedding at the end of July.  It was a gorgeous day in the bay area.  My kids look grumpy here because we were getting ready to fly home soon.   This is the San Diego Temple for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  You can read more about temples here and here.   

My nephew got married at the South Jordan temple a few weeks later.  This is my fabulous brother (the nicest anesthesiologist in the state), his wife, their son, and new daughter in law.  Another beautiful day with the family.

After a weekend in Arizona (no pictures on that trip), we took a very quick trip that was less than 24 hours, to Colorado to visit my husbands 91 year old granddad.  He is amazing.  He still lives at home, cooks his own food, and does most everything for himself.  He taught me how to make English soft boiled eggs.  The lovely lady in the purple shirt is my husbands wonderful sister.  We love traveling with her, and she tempted us to visit the Redwoods the next weekend...

which we did, because we are crazy, and we just can't get enough adventure!  The kids and I flew to Portland, where we were met by my husband.  Then we drove down the coast to Crescent City, (took us about 9 hours), where we enjoyed the Redwoods for one day.  After wearing ourselves out hiking, and sleeping on cots, we  were up at 5:30 AM and made another 9 hour trip down to Oakland California to fly home.  That's how most of our trips have been this summer...2-3 days at most.  It's so fun but wears one out!

There has been much happening at home too.  This is the new Brigham City Temple that was just dedicated a week ago.  One early morning I took my young women group from church to see the bride room.  It's one of prettiest that I have ever been in.  What an amazing experience it has been to have this structure being built in our small town.  We are so blessed as a community.

To celebrate the temple open house, 4000 kids from the temple district practiced for months for a big pageant that they performed for their parents and church leaders.  Yes, I was involved with every one of those practices.  My son was one of the soldiers in this swing number celebrating the military hospital that was here during WWII.  My son danced with a really cute girl!  I was so impressed with his performance.

There wasn't a dry eye in the audience as we celebrated this great country we live in and the new temple in our midst.  
Enjoy a wonderful Saturday wherever you are.  May you enjoy time with your family and have many creative moments too. 

14 comments:

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Oh my gosh, Lorraine! What a wonderful post and SO much going on! I love all your WIPs and have no doubt about how long that house would take to stitch! Your SoHRH looks great and the Toy Chest pieces look so pretty. I've seen the whole set finished and it is stunning! Can't wait to see yours! All your Fall stitching pieces are wonderful and look so festive and beautiful!
I'll bet your dd's doll party and sleepover were lots of fun!
Love the pics of your vacations. I remember visiting the Red Wood Forest when I was a kid - it's incredible. The pics of the temple are just beautiful and I'll bet your son was wonderful in his dance!
Hugs to you, dear friend! Be well!
Love, T~

Margaret said...

Well you've made up for your busy summer by posting a long, amazing post! What fun! Love seeing all your stitching WIPs. Your quilting ones too! You're scaring me with the over one horse on the toy chest. lol! Love your framing. Love those ornies you're making from your wool ornament class. I can just imagine your feather tree! So cool to see pics from your travels and from the temple opening too. You must have been so proud of your son!

Deb said...

My goodness Loraine - have you been one busy person!! And you have gotten so many wonderful things worked on. I can't believe how much progress you've made on Shores. Now I'm kicking myself for not joining you in finishing that one up!!

I can imagine that the house in Weeping Tree sampler took a long time, but I can't believe that a whole skein went into the mortar! Wow! I'm going to be so excited to see your Toy Chest pieces finished up. I so stink at doing things like that, but I love when other people do it.

Love the pictures of your vacation and the American Girls! So many wonderful things to look at.

Answering you tomorrow on email. Once again I'm getting so far behind!!

Hugs!

Catherine said...

Great catch~up post! Loved the tour of all your stitches and finishes. You have some wonderful projects going on there. Looks like you had some amazing travels and activities going on to keep you busy and on the move. Enjoyed seeing all of your pictures!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Wow! You're working on some wonderful projects! I can't imagine using a whole skein on a house. It says a lot about how much work is in that house.

I quilt too but have never worked with wool. A tree full of wool ornaments will be gorgeous!

You've certainly had a busy summer! Going to the Redwood Forest is something I want to do. Not a quick or easy trip for me as I live in Florida. I'll do it one day though. I loved seeing all the dolls lined up at the sleepover. So cute!

Jan said...

Lorraine, what a great post! Put a big smile on my face, reading all that you have been up too!

Love your wips and some of those wonderful fall/halloween designs are great as well! I have that one, called Autumn's Bounty hanging on my wall! I too love it, and leave it hanging all year long. I do believe it is out of print though.

Sorry, it has been awhile since I 'visited'...I need to get back and visit more of my favorite blogs and you are one of the ones I miss!

{{{hugs}}}

Brigitte said...

Oh my, what a post, Loraine! I loved to accompany you on your trips through your pictures. So many amazing scenery and things to look at. I love travelling and armchair travelling is just the best option when you cannot do it yourself right now.
And it was just as interesting to see what you have been working on. This Weeping Tree sampler is so beautiful. And you made some nice progress on Shores. I'm very curious to see the Toy Chest when it's finished. It already looks very interesting . I love your fall and Halloween stitching of the past years, very impressive pieces!

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

very beautiful your blog !

bisous bisous

Nicola said...

I have really enjoyed this post , it is everything I love about blogging.

Our common love of stitching but also sharing interesting bits of our lives.

The temples are beautiful. What is the first temple built of to be so white?

Karoline said...

All your wips are looking lovely and your Autumn stitching is looking gorgeous.

Glad you had a good summer

woolwoman said...

Loraine - man when you post you POST! Loved seeing all your finished pieces. Love your WIP's too - Shores is great - so many beautiful quilted things - the family trips and visits - I've never seen such a bright WHITE building as that temple in San Diego. I'm sure you and your family are pleased to worship in your beautiful new facility. Hope you enjoy all fall has to offer and continue to make great progress - Melody

Tammy said...

Every photo is wonderful, but my heart skipped a beat when I saw the Judith Kirby piece!!!!!!! I have it and now I'm going to stitch it. I agree that it is so spectacular in that frame. I'm glad you did that-it's gorgeous! Your stuff is always so beautiful Lorraine!

Kath said...

What gorgeous pictures. I love your favorite fall sampler and would dearly like to know the pattern name and designer as I'd love to stitch it.

Cross Stitch Woman said...

Hello,
I love your autumn stitching and I think it is called Autumn Bounty by Marla Owens and she passed away I want to say about 2-3yrs ago. I have tried and tried to find her patterns with no luck. I spoke with her and she had cancer. She told me she would try to see if she had that pattern but I never heard from her and later heard she died. I think her design names was
Black Star or Black Bird Star. If you ever want to sale the pattern, please let me know.
I also have the Judith Kirby pattern and looking for the second half of that pattern.
Wonderful stitching you do!