Monday, December 31, 2012

Finishing!

It's hard to believe we are at the end of the year!  I wanted to quickly post and share with you the finishes that I have done the past couple of months.  I've waited quite awhile to get these quilts back from the quilter, but it was worth the wait.  I've been binding away and my fingerprint is worn off now.  (I'm not kidding...I had to use my thumbprint to get into the park at Universal Studios, because the machine could not recognize my fingerprint!)
A close up of the quilting.  This is a pattern by Quilt Soup called Sunny Disposition.  It will be a fun, bright quilt to display in the Spring and Summer.

This quilt was for my daughter for Christmas.  It has minky on the back and is so soft!  I think we may fight over this one when watching movies. 

A close up of the quilting.  Love those flowers!

This is my Amish QuiltThis is a Sunshine and Shadow pattern of my own design based off of one I saw in Pennsylvania.  I have to say that I was a little stunned when I saw how my quilter chose to quilt this one.  It's not at all traditional, which is what I wanted...however the quilting is really beautiful and it's growing on me.  I am planning on doing some Amish stitching designs to hang next to this in my downstairs.

This is a quilt that I did during a reteat a few years ago.  A nice easy design from Pat Sloan, and it's from the book, I Can't Believe I'm Quilting. 

This is my favorite of the bunch.  I saw this in an American Patchwork magazine several years ago  It reminds me of Williamsburg.  I especially love the little star in the center of the quilt.  This one was a great addition to my holiday decorating this year.

A close up of the tiny star and the beautiful quilting.

Over the holiday break I got up the nerve to finish my Random Thoughts by Drawn Thread.  I decided to line it with some Heat and Bond light, and then add a cotton backing instead of stitching it the way the pattern suggested.  It added some weight, and it seems to hang better on the wall.  I'm happy to have this one out of the closet.

I also finished my strawberry sampler.  This is a terrible picture, but it turned out cute, and will look great with my wool strawberries that I display in June.

I finished this button sampler into a pillow today.  I'm not sure if I love the way I finished this one, but it's better done than perfect.  My daughter got the new Caroline doll for Christmas and she wanted you all to see it.  She is my favorite.  I will be sewing a lot of clothes for her this year.

I made a few Abbey Bags over the holidays.  These make wonderful giftsI can't decide which one I like best. 


My mom gifted me with this darling project tote, which was filled with fabric and books.  I just love it!  I'll really be styling when I take projects places now!

Here is a close up of the pincushion!  Isn't it sweet?

Another dear friend, Kathryn (no blog) made me this wonderful pincushion. I have it sitting by sewing chair. 
We have been traveling again.  My husband likes to take all of his vacations in the Fall and Winter time, so we headed off to Florida to visit my brother.  We went to Universal Studios for 3 days, and saw Mannheim Steamroller in concert and the Harry Potter park!  Wow is it ever cool.  I cannot believe the details that they put into the castle, Hogwarts and the village, Hogmeade.  We've been watching all of the Harry Potter movies over the break.  I wish I would have had time to do that before we left...I probably would have appreciated even more of the details.
Having a Butterbeer in Hogsmeade.  Yum!

My daughter and her cousins enjoying 86 degree weather.  The snow makes it look cold! 

Here is one of the amazing details of the castle.  There are tiny pinholes with fiberoptic lights in each one.  The pillar magically writes the name of the ride, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey and then it disappears again.  It's probably something I would have missed if I hadn't been waiting for my kids to meet me.
My son got his Eagle Scout award this month.  I am so very proud of him and all of his efforts to get this award.  The man he choose to give his mentor pin to is Scott Monson, brother to Thomas S. Monson, president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.   He is a wonderful leader and did so much to help the boys in scouting.

Here are few things I'm working on this week.  I'm going to make these Shepherd's Bush bags into pillows for the couch.  Originally they were finished into bags to put dried flowers in, but I think they need a refresh.  Also a punch needle pattern that has been started a couple of years.  I have something fun in mind to finish this off.  I'll share next time.

I bought the wool this week to start this beautiful wool quilt.  It's called Pennies from Heaven.  I'm working on getting it cut out.  It will take a while to complete but will be well worth the effort.

I've got to find a way to finish this project.  I'm thinking of a rolling pin, like Becky did in her Fall finish. She did a fabulous job.

I joined Nicola's Scarlet Letter SAL.  I'm so thrilled to be a part of it.  I'm still trying to decide on a bigger sampler, but for now I'm stitching ABCD 1817.  It's a miniature sampler, and it is the perfect start for me. 
That's it for me for this year.  Thank you so much to all of those who helped me with my dyeing issues on the last post.  I've decided to leave my sampler the way it is, and I've already sent it to the framers.  I'll show pictures when it returns.

Thank you to all that leave comments and brighten my day.  I wish you all happy stitching and quilting in 2013!

8 comments:

Margaret said...

Wow wow wow! So many beautiful finishes! And I love seeing your family pics too! Oh to go to Hogwarts -- fantastic! Happy New Year to you and your family!

Carol said...

You don't post often, but, when you do, oh, what a post, Lorraine!! Just love all of your quilts and that gorgeous DT wall hanging. Your travels sound marvelous--there is nothing better than getting away with the whole family, is there?

Congratulations to your son, too--my oldest was an Eagle Scout way back in 2000 and I know what a lot of determination and hard work go into obtaining that rank!!

Wishing you a joyous New Year...

Deb said...

OMG Goodness Loraine. You need to post more often and share all the wonderful things that you do. I just cannot believe all the eye candy here. I don't even know where to start with everything. I guess I'll just have to say that everything is wonderful and I'm in awe of all that you get finished!!

Congratulations to Zach. Such a wonderful achievement for him. I know that both he was proud of himself and your family was so proud of him too.

I think that I'll have to put the rest of my compliments into an email to you dear friend. I have to go back and look at everything a few more times!! Wonderful!!

woolwoman said...

Loraine - OMGosh - I can't even begin to say how amazing all your work is . Those quilts are beautiful and the wool quilt you've planned is simply gorgeous. All the stitching you finished and the ideas you have for upcoming pieces - awesome ! Congrats on your DS's Eagle Scout honor. That is a wonderful accomplishment. Nice that you got to come to FL to visit Harry Potter World - I can't believe I live less than 2 hours away and still haven't been. Maybe something I should think about for my spring birthday before it gets too hot or forget it. I always seem to want to go where it is nice and quiet on vacation like to the mountains and escape the crowds and heat in FL. Your DD's doll is so pretty - nice to see a young lady excited about a new doll for christmas. Take care sweet friend and I hope you and your family have the happiest of new years. Mel

JOLENE said...

2012 was a good year for you, you have accomplished so much! Tons of beautiful quilting and stitching. Love the wool quilt, I have been working on some fun wool designs, too. Perfect for doing in the freezing weather we are having. Hogwarts looked like a fun place to visit, the castle is amazing, great family photo, too! Have you done any finishing on the Toy Chest Etui? I have decided to get mine finished this year. Wish me luck! Love how Kathryn finished off the peacocks into a pincushion. I stitched this for my sister for Christmas, too. Her main family room is all decorated in beautiful peacocks, you would love it, it's very warm and inviting. Congrats to Zac on getting his Eagle, he is sure growing up. I learned at my brother in laws mothers funeral a few weeks ago that she worked closely with President Monsen as a young lady at the Deseret Book bindery.

Wishing the best for you and your family in 2013 and you acquire many happy memories!

Smiles...

Karoline said...

Fantastic finishes Lorraine.

Congratulations to your son on gaining his Eagle Scout.

Happy new year to you all

Siobhán said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have such amazing finishes. LOVE everything!! Fun gifts from your mom, too--how neat! Congratulations to your son on his achievements, I know you are so proud. :) Happy new year to you and yours!

Brigitte said...

Wow, these quilts are all so beautiful. Perfectly pieced and finished. And the new one, Pennies from Heaven, will be another beauty. It looks great on the picture adn I'm looking forward to seeing its progress here.
OF course, Random Thoughts is such a stunning finish. It seems that you didn't use the hemstitching for the finishing of the border? It looks so gorgeous! Mine is still not finished and I don't know if it ever will be, lol. We'll see.
Great to see your family and travelling pictures. I always love to accompany others on their trips, through their pictures.
Great new projects!