Monday, February 1, 2010

Traveling again.

My daughter and niece on a little island in Belize
I guess I'm blogging once a month, at best. Hopefully my blog friends will still be interested in what I'm up to!

We have been vacationing... again. I know we just went to Florida, but my husband has to put in his vacation time a year in advance, so November was our 2nd vacation for 2009 and January our first for 2010.
We went on a NCL cruise with my brother's family and my parents. This is my 3rd cruise. Our first was with Disney, and my only complaint was that it was too short. The last 2 have been with Carnival and NCL. I have to say that even though these cruise lines do a lot of things right, (we did have a great time), I found it very annoying that they managed to charge for every little thing! It ended up costing a great deal more than we had planned. I'm not a huge fan of cruises. I don't think I want to do another one any time soon, unless it's Disney.
I loved the ports that we went to...Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya Mexico, and NCL's private island in the Bahamas. Here are some snaps:A perfect beach day! Belize (same island as above)
My DD getting her hair braided by Johanna in Roatan (a small island off of Honduras)
We went zip lining in the jungle just prior to this. I didn't want my camera as I was dressed for a day of snorkeling...a swim cover up and sandals. The weather was not great for snorkeling, and we ended up doing the zip line instead. I would do that again in a heart beat, it was thrilling!

These are the recently discovered Mayan ruins of Chocchoben about an hour outside Costa Maya Mexico. (Discovered about a year ago. They were amazing! You can see how the earth looks now, and how much they still have to uncover.)
My little family on the biggest temple uncovered. There are currently 3 temples that have been excavated.DH carrying DD after she stepped in a fire ant bed! (She was not a happy camper.)

A conch we found in the water on the beach in Mexico. I didn't know they had such beady little eyes!

My parents, SIL, DH, and niece and nephew in Mexico.

Some of the artwork from the midnight chocolate buffet. Really cool stuff, but it was too late to eat for me (except for a little bite of a chocolate truffle pie)!


My finishes and framing from January. I know I didn't come close to attaining my goals this month, but I didn't get a lot of stitching time in, like I thought I would, so I feel pretty good about what I have to show.

This is my little start from New Year's Day. I like the way it turned out, and it looks great on my little red wall in the loft.

Shepherd's Bush Baby Bug Ball, hanging in my DD's pink room.
Shepherds Bush's Spooky Sheep. I love this huge frame on this little piece. Shepherd's Bush Sail Away, finally finished!

Shepherd's Bush Snow Hill. (I didn't realize had so many SB pieces done the last few months!
A little prize I won from Sharlotte's blog a few month's back. Notice the framer put the hanger on the wrong side (the heart is upside down). I will have to take it back next time I go.

Blackbird's Flea Market Find.

Progress on Shores. I'm enjoying this again, and trying to get it done this year.

This is a new start for Valentine's Day. This is Bent Creek's Wedding Row, but I am stitching in Red and pink Valentine colors. Shepherd's Bush has this done up in their shop, and it's much better done this way.
Finally I finished the "F" house in my alphabet village. Only 9 more to go! I'm hoping to finish by April for my DH's birthday, as I am dedicating to him.

That's it for today. I know it's been a newsy post! Hope all is well with my blog friends. Thanks for your wonderful comments and friendship! I love you all!

20 comments:

Deb said...

OH MY GOSH Loraine - where do I even start!!! Lucky, lucky you for that vacation. It looks so wonderful - blue skies, warm sands! You went to some wonderful places. And I loved seeing the ruins. My DH and I honeymooned in Cancun and we went to the ruins (can't even spell the name of the place LOL) and they were absolutely magnificent. That is so interesting that they found yet more ruins!!

That chocolate buffet sounds absolutely wonderful. I think that, although I love chocolate, probably would have held off - it would have kept me up all night., but then again, it sure looks tempting!!

And all your finishes - love, love the quilt! And all your framed pieces. They all look wonderful. Aren't the SB pieces the greatest to have finished and hung on the wall. And you and I are in the exact same place on Shores. But I have been so bad about picking it up again. Maybe you'll encourage me dear friend, to get on the stick and start stitching again.

Loved the post Loraine and seeing your family vacation pictures and all your wonderful finishes!!

Cari said...

Great pics Loraine of your family vacation. Looks like you had a wonderful time. Good for you. And I'm loving all of your stitched and framed pieces. Isn't that fun. You have been a very very very busy gal. I've been stitching and knitting alot but nothing is quite finished. Maybe a post later this week.

Hugs - and stay warm.

Sharlotte said...

Wow! Lots going on in your world Loraine! Not only are you on vacation but racking up some homeschooling hours as well no doubt! The finishes look great. Usually framers are pretty good about having the design right side up. I imagine they noticed there were no initials that had to be upright so they thought of nothing else. Hopefully they will accomodate you with re-attatching the hanger on the right end. I love the frame you chose for it! Have lots of fun!!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

Oh how I've missed you, Loraine! My mom and dad and some of their friends just got back from a cruise and they also saw the Mayan ruins. I've never had the opportunity but I hope to see them one day. Love the pic of your beautiful family on the steps! That's a framable pic if ever I've seen one!

I went on one cruise a couple of years ago for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary and it wouldn't be my first choice of how to spend a week. I don't think I'd go on another one unless someone wants to pay for it for me (which I don't see happening)!

Your DD looks darling with her braids!

Your finishes are fantastic - what a huge amount you've gotten done and framed. I love them all but my favorite is SA! Your quilt is fantastic, too - I just don't know how you get so much done.

Shores is coming along very nicely - as are your alphabets. I can't wait to see them all done. That'll be a huge accomplishment.

Thanks for sharing so much fun news! I'm glad you had a good vacation and I hope the getting back to it all isn't too tough!

Hugs!

Margaret said...

Wow wow wow! I love all your vacation pictures! So cool! My husband I think would enjoy a vacation like that. Me, I'm boring, I like dry land. lol! Looking at the ocean is good though! And all your finishes, and the frames too! Wonderful, a feast for the eyes! I don't know how you get so much done with all you do!

Melissa said...

Well, it was a very newsy and wonderful catch-up with you, Loraine! What a wonderful vacation judging from your photos! OK, maybe the cruise bit was a bit annoying but the locale looks lovely.

And all your framing. Droolsville! Isn't it nice to get a bunch done at once? I just got a bunch done but had to take 2 back to fix up as they left little bits (eg lint) in! Other than that I was happy too!

See you soon!

Mylene said...

WOW!!, what a great post, Loraine! I just loved reading and seeing everything! Looks like you all had a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing all the beautiful pictures.

All the framed pieces looks awesome!

Have a nice week.

Jennifer said...

Wow Loraine, what a wonderful holiday ! Looked so inviting. All your finished pieces framed look fantastic. I think I am going to have to buy SB's snow hill. I just love it. Look forward to seeing your progress on wedding row. It looks great. always love to read your blog. Tell your DD that my DD got an amer. girl gift card for Christmas. She is having a ball trying to decide what to buy..

JOLENE said...

You're back!!!! What a wonderful post with such beautiful eye candy. I love the photos from your vacation, the "fan" in the first photo is so cool. Your DD looks adorable in her braided "doo" and the blue skies and white sand, oh I could go on and on and on. (Sounds like I could use a vacation!)

Love all your frame choices, each one is perfect! Baby Bug Ball is such a sweet stitch. Love your quilt, too!! You have been busy, busy, busy.

I'm with Terri on the family photo on the steps....definitely a perfect family photo that screams "frame me". The ruins are so neat, I can just imagine how much labor was used to build such a magnificent structure.

Thanks for sharing!

Jane said...

Loraine, your holiday looks terrific. I especially like the look of the islands you stopped off at. I've never been on a cruise but love island holidays!

Such wonderful framing too. The frame you picked for Snow Hill suits it so well. BBB has come up a treat too! Lovely to see them all - makes me want to get some of mine framed. :)

doris said...

And a fabulous time was had by all! Sounds like too much fun.

Love all of those finishes. They're beautiful.

Dot said...

Great pictures, Loraine! The best part of this vacation was being with family. I'm sorry that I had the worse time with motion sickness. But my favorite was the Mayan ruins and the private island. They were great.
Your cross stitchings turned out wonderful. I should take you when I go to pick out frames. I love the material you picked out for the border on your quilt. It looks good. Good luck on that Shores piece. It's coming along nicely. Love you! Mom

Siobhán said...

I'm with Deb, where do I start?!? Oh my gosh!! What a fabulous post. Your trip sounds like it was a blast. I've never been on a cruise before and truthfully am not interested in it, though your pictures do make it tempting. I would love to go on a cruise to Alaska. The ruins that you saw--how amazing!

Your stitching and quilting finishes are fabulous. Great choices in frame mouldings!

Andrea said...

What a super fun post Loraine! Loved every bit of it!
Your vacation looks like it was loads of fun, how neat that you saw those ruins and the fabulous shot of your family is priceless.
I can't get over how perfect each frame is for the stitched piece inside of it, and admit to being green with envy at having such a wonderful framer! All of them are so great and that big black frame on the little SB is awesome!

Happy to see your post!
Hugs!

Unknown said...

Loraine, it's so good to hear from you! What a wonderful, newsy post.

What great pictures of you and your family - it looks like you guys had a wonderful time together. You have a beautiful family and how cute your daughter looks in her braids. My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Cancun and we were just fascinated by the Mayan ruins. I had no idea that more had been found, I've always wanted to be an archaeologist.

I am still drooling over all that chocolate - I would not have had the willpower you had.

What lovely, lovely framed pieces - I think they are all wonderful! And your quilts and your WIP's - where do you find the time to do all that you do, very impressive!

Can't wait to see more progress on your House alphabet - I know your husband will love it.

Enjoy your day!

woolwoman said...

Welcome back Loraine! WOW WHAT A POST ! I have looked over it several times - super neat vacation photos - you lucky dog! I've always wanted to see those ruins but guess if it requires getting on a cruise ship it ain't happening. I've seen too many disaster movies in my life I guess LOL.

Unbeliveable finishes friend - Just lovely every one of them - Love your quilt finish too. Come back and see us real soon - ya hear! Melody

Carol R said...

My first visit to your blog - definitely not my last. Great pictures, lots of news - love it!

Tammy said...

WOW!! Great post Loraine!! First of all, I adore your cruise pics-it looks like so much fun and the ruins and Belize photos are gorgeous. Your finishes/frames are so so pretty and I might steal your idea of the big frame for my little Boo sheep. Baby Bug Ball is probably one of my favorites and I'd like to stitch that up myself this year. Gosh, so many beauties to comment on!!!

Hazel said...

Wow amazing vacation! I just don't know how you get som much done :S You have completed loads since January! Amazing work and framed too. Wonderful. x

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.