Monday, June 30, 2014

Patriotic Week!

Hello blogging friends!  I wanted to show you a few patriotic finishes that I have worked on during the past year.  I love patriotic things. 
This project was done at girls camp last year. I was one on the leaders that had to go and supervise 25 girls between the ages of 12 and 17 for 5 days.  This definitley helped me stay sane!  
 This is by Little House Needleworks and I'm not sure of the pattern name. An oldie but a goodie!
I finally quilted this little wall hanging by Primitive Gatherings.  It was a class I took a year and a half ago by Lisa Bongean. It was a great project to learn how to perfect my embroidery stitches on.  
This is a wool project I worked on several years ago, but I've never shown it on my blog. The pattern was from an awesome book called Serendipity by The Ginger Cookie Company. The needle punched flag is my own design. 
I finally got this little sheep mounted onto my rolling pin. I saw this idea on a blog that has sadly, since been removed. I attached Velcro on the back so I could add other holiday designs. So far I haven't stitch anything else. Someday!  
I have had these two little designs in my stitching stash forever and I finished them up recently. They are both kits from Shepherds Bush. Both really fun to stitch and not too complicated. I messed up the cutting in the pincushion so one side is smaller than the other!  Ugg. I hate I when I do that. I managed to make it work but it bugs me a little bit. 
This is not a patriotic piece but I just got this quilt ready for the quilters last week.  It's called Winter Wonderland and it's by Crab Apple Hill. It has been languishing in the sewing closet for at least 5 years. I had half of the embroidery blocks stitched and the pieced blocks were done at a retreat several years ago. So I pulled it out at the beginning of June and made a goal to get it finished. I stitched on vacation for a week and finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel when getting the last block stitched. The border was tricky and I had to do some stretching to make it work. Hopefully the quilter can make it lay flat.  I can't wait to get this one in the wall for Christmas. I love the results but it was not my favorite project to do. Sometimes that is the way it is. 
This is my current stitching project that I hope to finish up today. It's new from Blackbird Designs called "In Full Glory".
 A friend kitted it up for me and changed some of the colors. I love how it is turning out!
This is my current quilt project called Farm Fresh by Buggy Barn. I have had the appliqués prepped for a long while and decided it was time to sew them together. I'm really trying hard to finish up old projects. They can be such a pain, but half the work is already done so they go fast. I'm using the starch/freezer paper method and sewing them on with invisible thread. 
This little quilt is by Primitive Gatherings and was given to us in the class I took from Lisa. It was done using those little 2 1/2" squares from Moda that come in a little package. It was so simple and easy to do. I think you could do this for any season using appropriate colors. 
Last of all before I forget and this goes in the decorating closet until spring, I finished up this set this morning. This is "March Hare" by All Through the Night. It was a most delightful project to work on the past few months. 
I found this wonderful grey dot linen fabric at my local quit store and wanted to do something fun with it. The pattern calls for the pillow on black wool but I changed it. I love the ruffle. You will need about a yard of fabric if you want to make this. 
That's all for me today. I have work to do. I have been working on a commercial building design for a friend and have been spending a lot of time at home. I'm grateful that it is summer and I can finish projects!   Thank you for those wonderful friends that leave me comments. I really appreciate them. Enjoy your summer!!!

12 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

What wonderful patriotic and nonpatriotic finishes you shared! I would like to know the color changes for your BBD piece. Nice changes!

Robin in Virginia

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

We have very similar tastes Lorraine :) All of these projects I have looked at and thought about doing at one point or another and some of them I'm currently working on! Primitive Gatherings and All Through the Night have beautiful wool projects. Your finishes (SO MANY!) are delightful, beautiful and perfect! Your vignettes throughout your home are perfect and lovely!

Jackie's Stitches said...

I love your parade of patriotic (and the others) projects! I'm in desperate need of getting a collection for myself together. First up, stashing charts! Thank you for the inspiration!

Barb said...

I just love all your patriotic designs. I especially like the BBD small pillow. You are certainly a master of many different crafts. I love the quilt and the wool projects. I have thought about doing a wool project but so far, I haven't tried them.

Margaret said...

Oh my gosh, so many beautiful finishes! Wow! Fantastic! I'm rushing around, but I just had to tell you how much I admire all your beautiful work. Wow!!!

Carol said...

Hi Lorraine--your post was just delightful. I'm always happy to see a new post from you because your work is so wonderful and varied. I love your little displays and the way you've finished your pieces. Thanks for the inspiration and enabling me--I'm sure I'll be adding a few new chart so my stash after reading this post :)

Happy 4th of July to you and your family--enjoy!

Mylene said...

Such beautiful finishes!

woolwoman said...

Just catching up blog reading after vacation and WOW - what a great post Loraine! You always get so much done, you sound just like so many of us - you have so many beautiful things in progress stashed away waiting their turn. I loved seeing so many of your lovely things but quilting and stitching. You are so very talented. Hope you are adjusting to your new job and that you still have time to have a great summer. Hugs Mel

Karoline said...

Gorgeous finishes, congratulations

Brigitte said...

Such a lovely display of patriotic pieces. They are all the beautiful, the stitched and the quilted ones. I particularly love the penny rug project.
This quilt is just wonderful with the stizchery in the center and the quilted border, which looks rather complicated.

Tammy said...

Oh my gosh! Your posts are filled with such goodness! I want to have you come to my house and decorate the whole thing-please??!!! I love your projects and your decorating skills. Your quilting is gorgeous and the stitching is great. I have an itch to do a wool project-I LOVE the one you have finished here!

Frances said...

What gorgeous patriotic pieces!!!!